Wednesday 11 March 2015

Theatre review: Shady Business (Swindon Arts centre)- A jaw achingly funny show




Theatre Company: The Western Players
Writer: Robin Hawdon
Location: The Arts Centre, Old Town, Swindon, Wilts
Date of Performance: Wednesday 11th March 2015
Future performances: Thursday 12th March, Friday 13th March and Saturday 14th March 2015
Click link for ticket information:
https://swindontheatres.co.uk/Online/default.asp?doWork::WScontent::loadArticle=Load&BOparam::WScontent::loadArticle::article_id=E4AAB139-C653-4641-A2BC-5CF400E410A4


Shady Business was so funny, so silly, so daft and so bewilderingly ridiculous that it left me with severe jaw ache by the end of the show.

I can’t even remember the last time that something made me laugh so much that my jaw hurt, but that’s what happened to me tonight. I wasn’t expecting this play to be so funny, so I guess it caught me unawares, and my poor old jaw still hasn’t quite recovered.

I’m not even going to discuss the plot, the acting, the scenery or anything else about this play. All I’m going to do is offer a warning.

That warning is for anybody who intends to see the show in the next three days, and here it is. Before the show begins you need to do some serious jaw exercises in preparation for what you are going to see.

I’m not messing around here. This is a serious warning. If you are going to see this show then you need to properly prepare yourself. Much like the beginning of strenuous exercise you need to prepare your body properly for the experience, but rather than stretching your calves and hamstrings it’s your jaw muscles that need to be properly prepared.

Here’s my expert advice- Open your mouth as wide as it can go, then relax, open again, and repeat. Then scrunch to the left, scrunch to the right and relax. By repeating these exercises shortly before the beginning of the show your jaw should be properly warmed up and ready for action. Do this (and don’t forget to repeat the exercises during the mid-show interval as well) and you should be okay, but ignore my warning and expect severe jaw ache by the end of the show.

You might be thinking that this is a bit of a strange review, and you would be absolutely correct in thinking that way because this isn’t a review at all. No, this is actually a public service warning to anybody who intends to see Shady Business in the Swindon Arts Centre over the next three days. I feel it’s my duty to put out this warning, because boy my jaw hurts now, and I’d hate to see anybody else make the same mistake that I made.


Rating: 10/10 (A very funny, very enjoyable show)

No comments:

Post a Comment