Thursday 12 March 2015

Comic review: Ant-Man #3- Be a Man, not an Ant-Man




Writer: Nick Spencer
Artist: Ramon Rosanas
Cover artist: Mark Brooks
Publisher: Marvel (Disney) Comics
Released: 11th March 2015

I only bought this book for the cool looking front cover. As for the inside story, I already knew what I would be getting.

I read issue #1 of Ant-man, so I knew that the story was going to be about an emasculated loser getting bossed around by his ex-wife. I knew that the dialogue was going to be soft, cosy, and full of quips with self-deprecating interior monologues from the titular dork. I knew that everything would be treated like a joke, that nothing would feel real, and that there would be no dealing with any of the issues that I always talk about on my blog.

I knew all of this before buying the book, so I’m not going to complain about it here, well not very much. Ant-Man, as written by Nick Spencer, is a very modern feminist liberal apology of a man. He exists to be bossed around by alpha females, and is domesticated, pathetic, desperate, lonely and weak. In other words, he's the perfect embodiment of the modern man in 2015, as programmed by the new world order friendly corporate whore mainstream media. Hey comic book fans; here's a depressing truth-

THIS GUY IS SUPPOSED TO BE YOU. 

Don’t be Ant-Man kids. Self deprecating jokes and getting bossed around by women doesn’t make you a nice guy. It makes you a loser, the kind of guy who women secretly despise. Ant-Man is the kind of guy who cries himself to sleep (alone) every night as he ties himself in feminist liberal knots trying to understand why all of the ‘jerks’ get the girls, and all he gets for his ‘niceness’ is friendship zoned.

Don’t be that guy. Be a man, not an Ant-Man.

I didn’t like the artwork in this book. It was flat, the colours were dull and it lacked detail. The narrative structure was very good, but the story didn’t interest me, and it wasn’t saying anything about the world that I live in.

Ant-Man #3 has a great front cover by Mark Brooks, but the story inside ‘features’ an emasculated comic book reader type as the protagonist. The story is about him trying to keep out of trouble with his ex-wife, lest she takes his daughter away from him for good. That’s a bit depressing really, seeing a ‘superhero’ going through the same crap that men have to put up with in the real world, dominated as it is with female friendly courts and a man-hating culture that is deliberately trying to emasculate men.

I bought this book only for the cover, so I’m not angry about it. That cover is great, and it’s going up on my wall, but the rest of the comic is pretty useless to me, other than to use it as an example of mainstream anti-male propaganda that unfortunately contaminates contemporary comic books today.

Rating: 4/10 (Great cover, interior story is well structured, but Ant-Man is no hero to me)


2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I skipped this book. I noticed the direction they had been taking Ant Man back several years ago in Young Avengers and the FF book by Fraction and Allred. And I had no interest in that.

    Too bad, because I was a big fan of the Lee/Kirby Hank Pym version of Ant Man from the early days of the Marvel Universe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't regret buying the book. It was very extremely informative in that it gave me a picture of who Marvel see as being their readership base these days. Going by this book that readership base in emasculated middle aged men who get bossed around my their ex wives, whilst desperately trying not to upset them so they can see their kids every week or so.

      Delete