Wednesday 18 June 2014

Blitz Review: Winter World #1- Snow flakes and drama


Writer: Chuck Dixon
Artist: Butch Guice
Publisher: IDW
Released: 18th June 2014


There’s an interesting addendum to this first issue of Winter World where writer Chuck Dixon explains that he’s going to try to stay clear of the climate change/global-warming debate when writing this book. Personally speaking I’d like to see somebody take a stand and go up against the crooks who want to use natural weather fluctuations to tax and control us, but even though that’s not going to happen here, I still enjoyed reading the book.

Winter World is going to be about the inherent drama that comes from following two people in a dystopic frozen wasteland as they struggle for survival and explore themselves in ways that can only come to light when individuals are faced with the most dire of circumstances. I’m okay with that, as the two protagonists (a loner protective male type and an ebullient young girl) are instantly likeable and I want to see how they get on in this horrible frozen wasteland that they’ve found themselves in.

I didn’t find the front cover very appealing, but the interior art looks very good, with the backgrounds of a snowy wasteland and perpetual blizzard being perfect atmosphere setting fodder.

I like the fact that the story is easy to follow, it has moments of playfulness and fun (they have a pet badger), and things happen almost immediately. They find an old aircraft carrier stuck in the snow, steal a cool jeep thing and get attacked by a Mad Max type group with wolves. That’s a lot for issue #1. But it never seems crowded, and it never confuses either.

I like the book. I like the people in the book, I like the art, and I’m adding this one to my pull list.

The book isn’t going to be taking on Al Gore and his bankster friends, but as long as you don’t expect it to, I think you’ll get a lot of enjoyment out of the story. The writer appears to know what he’s doing, and there should be some good emotional drama coming from the book in the next few months. It’s a promising, highly competent start, check it out. Rating: 8/10


No comments:

Post a Comment