Wednesday 26 August 2015

Comic review: Godzilla in Hell #2- Fascinating concept, beautiful artwork




Art & Story: Bob Eggleton
Edits by: Bobby Curnow
Letters/Creative Consultant: Chris Mowry
Publisher: IDW Comics
Released: 26th August 2015



‘Godzilla in Hell’ sounds very silly, trite and D level, but this comic book is a lovely thing to look at, and it really brightened up my day.

The concept behind the artwork is explained by artist (and writer) Bob Eggleton at the conclusion of the issue, and not only do you get to look at some beautiful painted panels of artwork, but you get a bit of an art history lesson as well.

The first issue of Godzilla in Hell was having a laugh at the way too serious and up it’s own jacksie ‘Age of Reptiles.’ It had no dialogue, no narration, and the story simply (and silently) followed our big ferocious lizard hero as he beat up random monsters in Hell. It was funny, silly and a riot to read.

Godzilla in Hell #2 is similar, but very different. First off, there are words in this one. An omniscient narrator guides you through the panels, explaining who is who, and what is going on. This narrative voice uses bombastic, flowery, hyperbolic prose and creates an epic, almost biblical feel to the narrative.

It could be a bit over the top to some, but I enjoyed it, a lot. The art has grandeur, so why not reflect that in the text as well? To me it worked, and it really added to the feel of the book, plus it gave some clarity to the narrative events as well.

Don’t be put off by the silly title on this comic book. Godzilla in Hell #2 is a lovingly crafted treat for the eyes, and you’ll be missing out on some beautifully painted artwork if you decide not to check it out. Get down to your comic book shop, find a copy, flip through the pages, and you’ll see what I’m trying to say here.

The book might not be saying a lot, so for a comic book reviewer obsessed with reality like myself, this is never going to get a 10/10. The best rating that I can give it is a seven. A seven in my scoring system indicates a top quality book that is not addressing real world issues.

Yeah, I know, my rating system is ridiculous, but I’m the self proclaimed ‘Anti- New World Order Comic Book Reviewer,’ so that’s what I’m looking for in my books, and there’s none of that going on here.

Forget my rating on this one, this is a book that you’ll want to check out. Buy it for a beautiful, lovely five-minute diversion from essential reality. Buy it for the art. It’s lovely, it really is, and even a reality junkie like myself couldn’t help but be mightily impressed by it all.


Rating: 7/10 (Beautiful painted art, and a fascinating concept based on art history.)






No comments:

Post a Comment