Thursday 6 August 2015

Comic review: Neverboy #6- A call for experience, individuality, creativity, renewal and life.



Writer: Shaun Simon
Artist: Tyler Jenkins
Colours: Kelly Fitzpatrick
Publisher: Dark Horse Comics
Released: 5th August 2015



This concluding issue of Neverboy poses essential questions regarding the drained pool of creative inspiration that is currently stifling the comic book world and leading to a period of comic book stagnation, dominated by corporate, careerist ignorance and a refusal to deal with the vital socio-political issues of our times.

Old heroes, done to death, the well runs dry.
Comic books are stuck. Not because they are an antiquated, anachronistic form of old media desperately trying to cling on to relevance in this wonderful new digital age, but stuck because they refuse to reflect the age in which they currently inhabit.

That is my view, and I recognise that it’s not held by the majority of comic book readers in 2015. This is reflected in sales figures and the popularity of depressingly awful movies like the childishly bad set piece, pun and quip-a-thon, Avengers Ultron.

It appears that the majority wants unreality, silliness, the cool factor, explosions, quips, puns, one-liners, old references and tight uniforms. But just because the majority wants to put their collective brains in a jar and watch the Gladitorial games of our times, whilst the world around them burns, that doesn’t mean that I have to go along with them.

If something is stupid, then I’ll say that it is stupid, and I couldn’t care less if that makes me an unpopular social outcast. Telling the truth isn’t supposed to be easy. It never was in the past, so why would that be any different today?

I used to buy lots of comic books, but it’s getting less and less now as the weeks and month’s pass. I used to buy over ten books a week. This week I purchased three. This saddens me immensely, as I’ve always loved comic books, and I want to buy lots of them, but if all they are going to do is bread and circus, that no longer appeals to me.

I’m 42 years old now, and I cannot act like a child anymore.


My problem is that I’m a bit of a reality junkie. I pay attention to the world. I see what is going on, and it interests me. But then I pick up a comic book, and what do I see? I see the 1990’s being replayed, and it doesn’t interest me. I see nostalgia, and I see a love of government authority, mixed with race, gender and sexuality politics, attempting to put a new gloss onto what is a very old, tired and childish superhero toybox.

It’s not just a superhero problem though. I collect issue #1’s. Not because I think that they will be worth something in the future, but because I hope that they will be good, I read them, they suck, and I don’t buy issue #2. Hang on, I’ll just pop into my wardrobe and bring out my folder of issue #1’s.

The following is a random list of these #1’s and an explanation of what they were about:

1- 68 Bad Sign #1- 1960’s US serial killer and zombies.
2- Beyond Belief #1- 1950’s upper class detectives. Cute, charming and very anachronistic.
3- Savior #1- Plane crash and superpowers (like that old Bruce Willis movie).
4- Fight Club 2 #1- Weighed down by the 1999 movie, and doing nothing new.
5- Constantine- The Hellblazer #1- More 90’s reworking.
6- Weirdworld #1- Conan the Barbarian, but weirdly whiny and soft.
7- Doomed #1- Spiderman with slightly different powers and a smartphone.
8- The Tomorrows #1- Identity politics, Blade Runner and old art school references.
9- The Shrinking Man #1- Comic book adaptation of a 1950’s novel.
10- John Flood #1- Constantine clone who looks like Edward Cullen.

Now, here’s a quotation from Neverboy #6:

The imagination of a child, creating something new.
‘You’ve been using other people’s imaginations, and it’s destroying it for everyone. Paint something real- Something real to you, not to anyone else. Something that only you can see.’

Neverboy is a call for originality, individuality and genuine artistic creativity. It’s asking you to put down your isurveilance device, to put down your old comic books, and to experience something genuinely new. It’s asking you to go out into the world, to look around you, to experience life, then go back to the computer, back to the easel, and create something NEW, something that genuinely comes from within YOU. It is a call to the imagination of a child, of the new-born creative mind, unencumbered by the weighty backlog of what has come before.

It’s 2015, and the world has changed in so many ways since the 1990’s. Writers and artists need to tap into what is happening now, forget the past, and reflect what is happening in the world today.

A revolution is needed, and no, I’m not talking about a revolution based on Internet identity politics and university approved cultural Marxism. Social media arguments about race, gender and sexuality are not going to cut it. If comic books are going to start to reflect the real world then writers and artists will need to experience some of that real world, and that doesn’t mean arguing with a politically correct social justice warrior (or a right-winger) on twitter. Perhaps we all need to switch off, live a little, and then come back to this comic book thing again?

Be wacky, be weird, just do something new.
Neverboy has been a fantastic comic book, bursting with creativity, originality and vital, urgent philosophic questioning about the nature of artistic inspiration, about the wellspring of imagination, and what happens when the well begins to dry up and people continue to take, take, take without putting anything back. The art itself has been great, a celebration of life, not life indoors on the computer, or life with headphones on, but real scent life, vivid, colourful, beautiful, exhilarating, a bit weird, a bit wacky, but exciting, essential, exhilarating human life.

This wonderfully, genuinely creative title has concluded it’s short run with a message about doing something new that comes from within, not from the past, or a fake computer life. It’s a message that we all need to take onboard, myself included, and as I finish off this review/rant I take that message into myself.

I need to stop typing, stop complaining, stop twittering, stop reading, and to go out into the big old, beautiful colourful world, to find inspiration, to energise, create, reflect and live my life as it is supposed to be lived.

That’s quite a revelation, and one I took from this beautiful, rare gem of a comic book. I’m going to miss this one, but the message of life, experience, renewal, creativity and individuality that it contains will linger for a long time yet.


Rating: 10/10 (An intellectually engaging, fun, wacky and creatively inspired comic book)








No comments:

Post a Comment