Wednesday 17 June 2015

Comic review: The Fiction #1- Not much fun, and now I feel bad because I didn’t like it



Writer: Curt Pires
Artist: David Rubin
Publisher: Boom! Studios
Released: 17th June 2015


It’s not very enjoyable to write a review on something that has little impact, that is neither hot nor cold, just middling, lukewarm and indifferent.

I like to rave, and I like to moan. I like to get passionate, and to get passionately wrong about something is always a learning experience that I’ll gladly accept, sod the ego, let it get bruised, I need to banish it to gain inner spiritual fulfilment (or something) anyway.

Oh, a book that does nothing, it’s so depressing. I can barely talk about it. I’m writing a review and it feels like work. I don’t want to go to work. I want to write with freedom and passion, and say silly things. So please forgive me, because what’s coming next is a half-hearted effort, a review of a book that did absolutely nothing for me.

‘The Fiction #1’ reads like a child’s fantasy book, like that Narnia movie with the wardrobe and lion in it. The characters are childhood friends, they experience something when they are ten, one of them goes missing, now they are all grown up, and about to jump back into that childhood fantasy world once again to discover what happened to their friend.

There was a hint at the beginning of the book that the disappearance is connected to ‘conspiracy theories’ and that should have hooked me, seeing as I’m supposed to be the ‘conspiracy’ guy, but the hooks never attached, and it wasn’t enough to make me care.

So what was the problem then?

I don’t know. The characters felt a bit plain, a bit dull, nothing resonated and it felt a bit too childish for me, not serious enough, a bit too cartoon and silly, and the artwork played into that feeling as well. It was too colourful, there was no realism to it, no sense of threat or danger, or most importantly, excitement.

I’m, sorry. I hate to say mean things about new indie books, but I didn’t enjoy it, and I won’t be buying issue #2. I wish them the best, but there’s not enough here to keep me interested, and now I’m fed up, and I don’t feel good about writing this review. I shouldn’t have bothered. I feel like a bad guy because I didn’t enjoy the book. Lots of effort, and struggle and time, and passion and hopes and dreams, and here I am dismissing it like it is nothing. Ah man, sometimes reviewing comic books really sucks.


Rating: 4/10 (Dull)


No comments:

Post a Comment