Thursday 14 May 2015

Comic Review: Reanimator #2- Busy, Silly & Fun



Writer: Keith Davidsen
Artist: Randy Valiente
Cover A: Francesco Francavilla
Cover B (Above): Andrew Mangum & Kyle Ritter
Publisher: Dynamite Comics
Released: 13th May 2015


Sometimes I need a break from all of the thinking, the endless drumming beat of neoliberalism that fascinates, but tires me out so much. I can’t spend all of my day obsessing over that stuff, it would drive me insane, and I’d be a gibbering wreck by the end of the week.

So, please forgive me here. I need to review a book about zombie girls in bikini’s and reanimated corpses, and Lovecraftian cults and swamp fighting and a mad scientist. A book that is set in a nowhere time, and isn’t really saying anything other than put your brain on sleep mode, forget your worries and let us take you on a daftly horrorific funfair ride.

Reanimator #2 is about a bored girl. She’s still grieving for her recently deceased boyfriend, and has an insatiable need for some adrenaline, for some excitement in her life, just to make here feel...something.

So, how to break that interminable boredom, the awful, belly aching pang of ennui that leaves you feeling empty and devoid of all hope?

How about a hoverboat ride through the everglades with a mad scientist doing mad scientist stuff, followed by a tussle with a zombie girl, a bracing swim in the alligator infested swamp, a meet and greet with a slightly silly cult leader, and a surprise twist to the end of the day that you’ll never, ever forget?

That all sounds pretty exciting to me, and although she might end up feeling a tad traumatised by the whole experience at least she can’t complain about feeling bored anymore.

The book has slightly wonky art, it’s a bit messy, but the story is a grand silly adventure and things are always happening, so you are never bored and the fast pace ensures that you are always looking forward to seeing what is going to happen next.

There’s a huge revelation at the end of this issue, so hopefully it hasn’t peaked too soon, but as a short boredom busting rest-stop between my more serious hard hitting political type books then Reanimator #2 was the perfect pit-stop.

The book gave me a fun ten minutes break, and now I’m back, re-energised and ready to get straight back into all of the serious, yet daunting, new world order, neoliberalism, statism, slavery, barking mad monkey at midnight banana curry insanity political nonsense. Thanks for the break lads. I needed it.


Rating: 7/10 (Busy, silly and fun)


No comments:

Post a Comment