Saturday 5 July 2014

Review: Sheltered #10- No surprises yet


Writer: Ed Brisson
Artist: Johnnie Christmas
Publisher: Image Comics
Released: 2nd July 2014


I’m still expecting, or at least hoping, for something a little bit out of the ordinary to happen in Sheltered, and that’s why I’m still reading the book. It’s been ten issues now, and so far it’s been a half-decent cult leader story, involving the murderous children of ‘Preppers’ so, on the surface at least, it appears to be more contemporary and relevant than your average cult leader book.

Issue #10 doesn’t contain any surprises that would turn this good book into an excellent one. It’s still cult leader stuff, and as the children squabble and fight amongst themselves the power dynamics continue to evolve. There’s also the question of whether or not the wounded outsider will make it back to civilisation alive, and reveal to the outside world what is happening on the camp. That is resolved in this issue, and I won’t spoil it. It gave the story some dramatic moments, and it was interesting, but I want more.

One of two things has to happen to make this a better than average book. 1- The predicted climactic catastrophe actually happens and the cult leader was right all-along. 2- The cult leader is a mind-control dupe, set up by the CIA, and the whole thing has been a psychological operation on the general public designed to demonise groups that go off the plantation and stop being willing slaves to statist (government) tyranny. Do I think that any of these two things will happen? I used to think so, but I’m starting to doubt it now.

If the book is just a cult leader book, well that’s all very good, it’s been okay, but it’s not exactly revolutionary is it? I’ll keep reading to the end, just to see if the ending delivers something spectacular. Hopefully it will, but I won’t be surprised if the story ends like this particular issue. With lots of blood, dead bodies and the conclusion that people can’t be trusted to be free, and that you need big brother government to look after you, and keep you safe from yourselves. I have my fingers crossed, but comic books have a habit of disappointing by not going the whole way. However, I’ll be fair to the creators and leave my final judgement until the story is actually concluded.
 Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment