Thursday 10 July 2014

Blitz review: Death Vigil #1- A cool little club of dead people


Writer: Stjepan Sejic
Artist: Stjepan Sejic
Publisher: Image Comics (Top Cow Productions inc)
Released: 9th July 2014

It’s easy to write a comic book that I’ll enjoy and say nice things about in one of these reviews. All you have to do is write a book with likeable characters and decent art. Add that to a good story with a few unexpected twists, interesting and believable villains and none of that feminist liberal nonsense and I’m happy. If you deal with contemporary new world order issues then I’ll be even happier, but as long as you don’t insult me and pretend that it’s still 1993 I’m okay if you don’t want to go too deep into 2014 reality. I won’t give you a 10/10, but I’ll still read a 7 or 8 out of ten book.

Death Vigil doesn’t do the contemporary new world order stuff that would make it a 10/10 for me, but it’s a pretty entertaining read, with characters that I actually liked. It was well written, you get a lot of story for your money, and it looked all right as well. I don’t go too much into the plots and characters in my reviews as I find that really tedious in other reviews that I read. All you need to know about this book is that it’s about a cool little club of Goth types who protect our world from evil spirits and demons. They are dead, but they can walk around and interact with you and me, but they can’t crap and they can’t puke. I learnt that in this first issue.

I enjoyed the book because of the tone of the writing, it had a strong opening, and it had a nice little plot surprise in the middle as well. The characters were written with a smile, and they put a smile on my mug as well. I want to see what they get up to next, and if I were dead then I’d love to join their little club. It’s a cool little club, the kind of club I wished I could have joined during one of the many periods in my life, instead of all of the silent and apathetic people I actually did meet in my teens, twenties and thirties. I’m in my forties now, and I’m still waiting for that cool little club. Oh well, that’s what comics books are for isn’t it? To meet people far more interesting than the boring drone repeaters you meet in your everyday life. So a good book, not great, but it was fun and I’ll keep on reading.
Rating: 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment