Wednesday 1 July 2015

Comic book review: Grant Morrison’s 18 Days- The Mahabharata In Comic Book Form




Writer: Grant Morrison
Art: Jeevan J. Kang
Publisher: Graphic India
Released: 30th June 2015



I often come across references to the ancient Indian poem ‘The Mahabharata’ in books and television shows that can be loosely categorised in the ‘ancient alien’ bracket, but I’ve never actually read the poem for myself.

All that I know is that it sounds extraordinary. It’s about superheroes, gods, monsters, demons, flying craft, devastating weapons and the past, present and future of humanity. In short, it’s perfect fodder for a comic book.

Grant Morrison has actually read the poem, and obviously agrees that it would make a fine comic book, because he’s done just that, and here it is.

In ‘Grant Morrison’s 18 Days’ I now have the perfect entry point into learning all about the Mahabharata. I feel terribly lazy that I hadn’t done it before, but this comic book is going to force some knowledge onto me, and I couldn’t be happier.

Morrison can get a bit abstract, a bit weird, a bit trippy, but not here. He’s keeping it simple, and making sure that the reader understands exactly what is going on, who is involved, and what the consequences are. The first part of the book explains the ages of the earth (we are in the last age now, which explains a lot), and sets the stage for the major battle that is about to take place. If light wins, the cycle repeats, darkness is banished and a new age of enlightenment begins. If dark wins, the cycle will cease to turn, and darkness will be here to stay.

The book then introduces the participants on each side, and Krishna, the living God, who is on the battlefield, but has taken a vow not to fight. I’d heard of Krishna, but I knew nothing about him at all. To see him in a comic book, looking like a superhero, really brings him to life, and I can’t wait to find out more about him and to expand my woeful knowledge base on all things related to the Hindu religion.

The vast majority of comic books are fluff, a waste of time, something to read, moan about, or enjoy, and forget. I’ve read a lot of comic books like that, and what have they given me? Something to do when I was bored, that’s about it really. These days I’m looking for something with a bit more substance, and that’s why you won’t see too many detailed reviews of the latest DC and Marvel teen girl books on my blog.

I’m an indie hunter now, still in love with comic books, but looking for books that say something, books that give me a little bit more than amusement or a way to waste my time.

Grant Morrison’s 18 Days #1 puts comic book life into an ancient Indian text, and introduces mythological (or are they historical?) characters that were the original superheroes. The art is big, bold, colourful and perfect for a superhero comic book, and fits very comfortably alongside other 'superhero' genre books that you will find in your comic book shops today.

For those looking for an accessible entry point into ancient Indian mythology/history, 18 Days is a must buy comic book. For everybody else, pick it up anyway, you won’t regret it.

When you purchase the book (It only costs $1) you’ll get a traditional powers and fights superhero comic book, but with an added element. That added element is fascinating insight into what an ancient Indian text has to say about the nature of humanity, where we came from, what we are doing, and where we are going. You won’t get that kind of information in your average comic book, so don’t miss out on this one.



Rating: 9/10 (The Mahabharata in accessible comic book form)



Check out the digital version of this comic book on You Tube:









No comments:

Post a Comment