Thursday 8 January 2015

Comic review: IXth Generation #1- Supermodel world controllers in space


Writer: Matt Hawkins
Artist: Stjepan Sejic
Publisher: Top Cow Productions
Released: 7th December 2015


There’s not a lot for me to say about this comic book. I know it's a cross-over thing, but as a new reader it didn't offer me much at all.

The narrative is set in a spacey future where an elite group of immortals rule over a race of genetically advanced humans. These ‘nine heirs’ are your usual comic book types, young, attractive, wearing tight costumes and of various PC multi-racial/gender classifications.

I never realised that world controllers could be so cute.
The story begins with them arguing amongst themselves, fighting (although it’s pointless as none of them can be killed) and it concludes with one of their party being revealed as some kind of a threat to their status quo.

The biggest problem that I have with this book is that I’m not sure why I should I care about any of ‘heirs,’ as they are unelected dictators, a ruling elite in the same mould as our own hidden ruling elite of corporate/banking interests.

The protagonists in IXth Generation #1 couldn't help but remind me of the handful of families that control our own, real-world reality.

I’m talking about the real power behind our puppet politicians, the corporate decision makers who hide under the illusion of western ‘democracy,’ using a controlled election system where every few years their slave tax base get to choose between right corporate fist or left corporate fist. A system that cleverly gets slaves to choose the colour of the uniforms worn by tax collectors and prison guards, whilst telling the slaves that they are not slaves at all because they freely chose the uniform colour of their oppressors.

I might be a bit strange, but I don’t naturally empathise with unaccountable, slave controlling elite’s. That’s what you get in this book, so it’s an immediate turn-off for me. I don’t like them, and I don’t want to read about them. It doesn’t help that the story seems inconsequential due to their immortal nature either, and I couldn’t find anything in them, or in their struggles that held my interest. Perhaps if the story focussed on some of the ‘little’ people living in this new world I would have cared, but by focussing solely on the world controllers themselves the book has lost me already.

The art is nicely shaded and coloured in sections, but the story holds no long term interest, so unfortunately this is going to be a one and out for me. Simply put, it wasn’t interesting enough for me, and it falls into the chasm of blah that I’m going out of my way to avoid these days. I wish them luck, but Top Cow needs to put out better stuff than this if they want to win me over and to become a regular reader of their titles.

Rating: 3/10


No comments:

Post a Comment