Thursday 29 January 2015

Comic book review: Sinestro #9- Evil Christians, drugs, police and dictators


Writer: Cullen Bunn
Artist: Brad Walker
Colourist: Jason Wright
Publisher: DC Comics
Released: 28th January 2015



For the first time in it’s nine issue run this comic book, as written by Cullen Bunn, reads like just another matrix dwelling mainstream slice of deception and disinformation.

It’s a shame, because I expected better than this, but after reading this new direction (after the New Gods crossover books) all I can do is call it out for what it is, and unfortunately it’s extremely derivative stuff.

The book begins with an attack on religion. Not the religions that are actually causing all of the troubles in the world today, but the religion that it’s politically safe to attack, that being good old Christianity.

I can envision people arguing that ‘The Pale Vicars’ or ‘The Sallow Priests’ are not Christians, they are ‘aliens’ but let’s be honest here. A vicar? A priest? It’s Christianity, so let’s stop pretending.

I don’t see any Rabbi’s or Imams being referenced in mainstream comic books, it’s always religious leaders that are connected to Christianity.

Comic book writers do this because they are allowed to criticise Christianity. If they criticise Islam or Judaism then they’ll lose their jobs. In other words, they are cowards who only criticise the religious organisations that they are allowed to criticise. I don’t respect that, at all. If you are going to criticise religion then criticise them all, and if you are too afraid to do that, if you value your career more than your integrity then I’m not going to read your comic books anymore.

After Sinestro #9 lamely attacks Christianity it goes on to tell the readers that drugs are bad, and that we have to rely on a third party (the Police) to save us from the evil people who want to give us poor helpless suspect-civilians something that is bad for us. Wow, the book really is scraping the barrel this month. Christians baaaaaaad. Drugs baaaaaad. World Police goooooood. What’s next, a power crazed dictator who wants to get revenge on Sinestro?

Yep, that’s exactly what we get next. The good old power crazed dictator. A mainstream media generated villain, and the perfect justification for another ‘humanitarian intervention,’ another bombing campaign, another war waged for resources where the lives of innocent human beings count for absolutely nothing.

Forget about the reality on planet Earth 2015 where western ‘democracies’ have been waging war, raping, pillaging and torturing all over the planet for over a decade now (and that’s just recent history). I can’t believe that people living in 2015 are still pushing this fairytale that the number one threat to world peace is power crazed dictators, and not the centralised, top-down, corporate/banking interests that control western governments.

I’m standing back now, looking at what is on offer here in this comic book, and I just can’t read it anymore. It’s too simplistic, too lazy, too ignorant of reality, and it’s just not making any sort of connection to the real world realities that have taken place in the world post September 2001.

I can’t be buying this book and pointing out this stuff every month on my blog. I don’t enjoy it you know. It bugs me, annoying me big time that I’ve wasted so much of my time (and money) on a book that has given me absolutely nothing.

Writer Cullen Bunn has revealed himself here, and his mindset is worryingly stuck in generations passed. If he thinks that the most important issues in 2015 are Christian fanatics, dictators and the need for a Police state to save citizen-suspects from the evil of drugs then he is just the right kind of ignorant that the comic book industry wants. And when I say ignorant I don’t mean that he is stupid. I mean that he has chosen to ignore the world, and to push out a mainstream media version of reality that in no way whatsoever corresponds with what is actually going on in the world today.

I feel terrible now. I don’t want to put up these reviews where all I do is complain, insult the poor writer and go on about the mainstream media, the corporate matrix, etc, etc, etc, but what can I do? I buy a book, it insults me, and so I have to call it out. Sinestro is off my pull-list, so no more reviews of the book here on my blog. My search for awakened, independent, free-thinking writers working in the mainstream comic book industry continues. Wish me luck, it’s a bloody desert out there.

Rating: 3/10 (I enjoyed the colouring by Jason Wright)

No comments:

Post a Comment