Friday 9 January 2015

Comic book review: Green Lantern #38- Emasculated chump hangs out in friendship zone


Writer: Robert Venditti
Artist: Admira Wijaya
Publisher: DC Comics
Released: 7th January 2015

What’s going on in my mainstream superhero comic books this week? Why are the so-called ‘heroes’ being portrayed as emasculated losers who have no lives, no friends and no girlfriends?

Who wants to read this depressing crap about loser superheroes? Oh yeah, comic book fans.

Drink up losers
After reading about the suicide inducing no-life of Ant Man the next book I picked up this week was about the equally depressing loser life of Green Lantern.

Unlike poor old Ant Man at least Hal Jordan has a job, but at the beginning of this book he’s told to sod off, so he does, straight to a bar.

He spends the rest of issue #38 drinking, hanging out with his childish loser mates, and concluding his non-adventures with a humiliating conversation with an ex-girlfriend who rejects him, gives him a pity kiss peck on the cheek, then buggers off to have fun with her new boyfriend.

What the hell was that supposed to be?

Am I supposed to identify with this loser because I am a comic book fan and therefore a loser myself? That’s the conclusion I took from Ant Man #1, and I’m getting exactly the same vibe with this one.

Guess what? I don’t relate to put upon, unemployed single fathers and dumped boyfriends drinking dejectedly in a bar. Perhaps I’m weird? Perhaps I’m not a big enough loser to read comic books these days? Perhaps I need to go back out into the world and experience more humiliation and rejection before I can relate to these books? I better buy myself some new sensible clubbing shoes, because at the moment I feel like I don't belong in this depressing club for rejected, lonely, pathetic, emasculated, humiliated men.

Goddamn it, what’s up with my comic books this week? I don’t want to read about losers. I just don’t, and so another book gets a much deserved low rating from this thoroughly pissed off reviewer. Perhaps I'm wrong? Perhaps I need to change my ways? I'll finish this review here as I need to go the shops. I have some sensible shoes that I need to buy.

Rating: 2/10 (for that ridiculous alternative front cover)


No comments:

Post a Comment