Friday 30 May 2014

Review: C.O.W.L #1- Fear and Control


Writer: Kyle Higgins and Alec Siegel
Artist: Rod Reis
Publisher: Image Comics
Released: 28th May 2014

I went into this book blind, knowing nothing about it, and hoping for the best. What I got was some nicely stylised artwork, jetpack related action, characters I couldn’t care less about and a world building introduction to a universe that, at first, I struggled to care about. The book is set in a fantasy 1962, in Chicago US and involves an Avengers type of superhero group who are fighting against evil Russians, or something. I couldn’t understand what the point of it was. I was reading about a group of secret agents and their extra marital affairs, their career intrigues and personality issues and couldn’t care less about any of them. The book ends with the secret agent group looking for a new threat to justify their existence. That makes sense to me, as in the real world the corrupt elite’s always need a new perceived threat to justify their existence. At the moment, in the real world, the corrupt western elite’s are looking for a new public bogeyman now that Islamic terrorism and Al CIA Durrr has been exposed as a tool of their intelligence agencies. Looking to the past they’ve decide to use the Russians again, as should be pretty obvious to anybody who watches the dinosaur mainstream media, who’s job is to keep the television watching masses in a permanent state of fear and anxiety. If C.O.W.L #2 expands on the idea that the enslaved and brainwashed public always need to have a bad guy to fear then this could be worth following. I have a problem with the lack of likeable protagonists, but I’ll overlook that for the time being. I’ll give this book a chance, pick up issue #2 and decide whether or not it’s worth some long-term investment of my time and money. Rating 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment