Wednesday 25 February 2015

Comic review: The Superannuated Man #6- And you thought there were no consequences?




Created, written and illustrated by: Ted McKeever
Publisher: Image Comics
Released: 25th February 2015


So what was it all about?

Mankind not caring, eating whatever came along. Oh, so it doesn’t really matter because I can do it, so I will do it. There are no consequences, yum, yum.

Oh, the animals can talk now. They have hunger in their eyes, and I am on the menu. That’s not fair, but it is, isn’t it?

And the world we build on selfishness on doing what we can because we are bigger, because there are no consequences is built on wobbly moral foundations. A house built on a tar pit, and eventually it will sink.

Look in the mirror, do you see your past?

I see it, and it has become today.

Consequences are real. We get what we deserve.

It may take some time, but eventually.

Eventually, there is a slippage.

Wasn’t there a flood in the Bible?

Wiped away, and you think that we are better now?

Do you think that we have progressed?

Do you think that it doesn’t matter because there are no consequences in this Darwinian jungle of screw or be screwed?

I think that it matters.

I think that consequences are real, and that the past is never far behind the future. You store up the deliberate ignorance, the pretending that moral truth does not exist, that you can do whatever you like, but all of a sudden…….

Bang.

It’s time to pay the price.

That is what this book was all about.

Well, to me anyway. I went to work, sweated, made money, and exchanged it for this book, so I get to write my own meaning, my own response to the text. Whether I’m right or wrong it doesn’t really matter. I loved the book, it resonated with truth, it made me think, it made me write daft reviews here on my blog.

That’s it for the Superannuated Man. I’ll miss him, but Ted moves on, and his next book is something called POODWADDLE. We’ll have to wait until the fall of 2015 for that one, so something to look forward to, and now back to the predictable world of me moaning about statism and neo liberal PC moral crusading in left leaning Marxist/Feminist comic books. Oh Ted, I’m missing you already.

Rating: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment