Thursday 4 December 2014

Planet Terror: A bad review of a movie that I couldn’t be bothered to watch.


Released:  April 2007

Directors/Producers: Quentin and his mate Rob

Stars: Josh Brolin, Bruce Willis and Rose McGowan

For more info on this cinematic masterpiece (if you care) Click link below:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_Terror



I tried. I really did, but I could only make it into the twentieth minute of this movie before I was so bored that I couldn’t stand watching another second of it.

I know that the politically correct feminist liberal geek crowd (who hate me anyway) will dismiss everything that I say about this movie, but what can I do? I try things out, but if they completely and utterly suck how do you expect me to react?

Ho-hum
Am I supposed to waste two plus hours of my life and squirm, yawn and sleep throughout the entire movie? Am I supposed to treat it like a bloody film school project and write an essay about it? What’s the point?

You might not believe this about me, but I actually have a completely worthless BA in film studies from some crappy UK university, so I know all about sitting through boring movies in order to write essays about them. Battleship Potemkin and the stupid bloody steps anyone? Anybody up for a marathon session of Hitchcock analysis focused on his creepy obsession with blondes and his seagull metaphors? Thought not. I’ve been there, and let me tell you this sad truth- the boredom factor that comes with analysing what has already been analysed to death is only matched by the abyss inducing pointlessness of it all.

Anyway, talking about useless film degrees and yawning middle-class students, let’s get back to the world of Quentin. Twenty minutes of fake grainy movie, deliberately bad acting, testicles being crushed up and a crying stripper is too much for me in 2014. I can’t even be bothered to talk about Quentin film student boy and his references to references to references. Yes, we know, he liked crappy old movies from the 70’s. Yes Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs were really cool when they first came out, much like Fatty Smith and his Clerks stuff. I’m boring myself now by even referencing these things, and that’s the problem. It’s just references to dead things, references to a dead past, there’s no connection to what is happening now.

I noticed that one of the characters in Planet Terror was doing something on the Internet. It looked weird, out of place, like the director had stuck it in there by mistake. It was like seeing a digital watch in a movie about Roman gladiators. It takes you out of the moment, you remember it’s just a silly movie, and the magic is gone. I thought this was set in the 70’s? Oh, it’s not? Why does it look like it was set in the 70’s then? This is confusing, and silly, and worthless, and why am I wasting my time here?

There was something painfully fake about the movie as well, and yes I know it’s supposed to be fake, but where’s the enjoyment in watching gross out scenes and bad acting, but all done with a Hollywood budget of millions of wasted dollars?  There’s something depressing and grotesque about the whole vanity project, because that’s what it is, a vanity project from an already comfortably successful man.

I like Bruce
The whole feel of the project was just too jarringly inane for me to enjoy. If I were some kind of stumbling comatose old drunk, then perhaps it would be watchable, but I don’t drink. Why the Hell would I want to watch a purposefully bad homage to low budget movies that some guy has overly romanticised from the distance of his uninteresting suburban childhood?

I’ve heard that Tarrantino is going to retire after his next movie and I don’t blame him. He must have a big mountain of cash by now, so why stay on the stage when you have run out of material, when you have nothing left to say? I give him credit for that; at least he knows that it’s time to go.

But as for Planet Terror, I can’t sit through this movie. It made me so sad to see Bruce Willis in it. Oh dear, that’s not cool, or retro, or whatever, it’s just sad. I don’t want to watch something that is just going to make me feel sad, and not a good sad in a Bambi or Bicycle Thief kind of way, just sad in a politician lying to get us into their latest corporate war kind of way.

I warned you that this would be a bad review, and I wasn’t lying was I? And yes I know that Robert Rodriguez was credited as director, but this movie has Quentin’s sweaty paw prints all over it. And yes I know that this review was terrible. I give myself a lazy and low 2:2 for it. I’m sorry, but I can’t put the effort in to actually watch, and then do a proper movie review of something as pointless as Planet Terror. There’s no fun to be had here, no fun at all.

Movie rating: N/A 


No comments:

Post a Comment