Thursday 9 April 2015

Comic review: Convergence: The Atom #1- Good Old Fashioned Cheese on Toast



Writer: Tom Peyer
Artist: Steve Yeowell
Publisher: DC Comics
Released: 8th April 2015


I’m always complaining about contemporary comic books and their refusal to deal with real world, contemporary issues that are affecting the lives of their readers. But when a comic book is intentionally silly and doesn’t even pretend to have anything to do with the real world of 2015, I can relax, put my mental feet up and enjoy it, just like I did as a comic book obsessed kid back in the early 1980’s.

Convergence- the Atom #1 is one of those comics that I can relax with. It’s very silly, genuinely funny and it reminds me of the comic books I used to read as a kid. The Atom is a nutter, a loser, and an embarrassment to everybody who is unfortunate enough to know him. His super hero power is having one large hand. It’s laughable, children don’t want to be anywhere near him, and I don’t blame them either. He hears voices in his head. The voices tell him that he sucks, and I agree with them wholeheartedly, because he does indeed suck, big time.

His world isn’t our world of 2015. It’s a 1980’s brightly coloured world where kids still go out to play and get up to healthy mischief not Internet or twitter/twatter related. It’s the world that I grew up in, a world that no longer exists as paranoia has set in and children are locked up by their television and fear indoctrinated parents.

Here kids, have this ipad, or iphone. Look at the Internet all day and think about the adventures outside that you could be having. That sucks.

Far too many kids today are prisoners in their own homes, with the government and their parents spying on everything that they do. Let them out parents. Buy them a bloody bike and let them have some freedom before the chains of conventional adulthood tie them to the rat race Hell of careerism, debt slavery, statism, war, consumerism, capitalism and everything else that slowly sucks away our souls as we rot away our adult lives.

The Atom #1 reminds me of better days. This old colourful 1980’s comic book world has stupid villains in it, and the dialogue is naff, and the cheese levels are through the roof, but there’s something about it that I’m enjoying.

I like cheese, I do. I like it on toast, and I like it in my comic books as well, just don’t give me the fancy Dan cheese, don’t con me with the cheese, just give me something old fashioned, something reliably cheddary and I’m happy.

Atom #1 is good old-fashioned cheddar cheese on toast. It’s easy, tasty and it fills up your belly very nicely indeed.

I’m going to come back to this one. I’m going to forget everything that I know about this post 9/11 world of the new world order, put my feet up, get the cheddar ready and have a good old fashioned 1980’s comic book experience, just like I used to. It was good then, and it’s just as good today.

New World Order? What the Hell is that? Cheese on toast time, yum, yum, happy times are here again.


Rating: 8/10 (Good old fashioned, fun, daft, enjoyable 80’s comic book)

No comments:

Post a Comment